Lee, Heejin (이희진)
ProfileProfessor Heejin Lee obtained his PhD in the Department of Information Systems at London School of Economics. He has an interdisciplinary background with sociology (MA, Seoul National University) and business administration (BA, SNU). Before joining GSIS, he worked in the University of Melbourne, Australia and Brunel University, UK. His research interest includes IT/IS for development, international standard setting (whti focus on China and Korea) and time/space and IT.
He is the director of Centre for Australian Studies at Yonsei. He was an awardee of the Endeavour Executive Award 2013 of the Australian Government, and a Visiting Academic at the School of School of Historical and Philosophical Studies, the University of Melbourne (September to December 2013). During that period, he learned how to develop and design syllabus/curriculum for Australian studies.
He has many publications in international journals. He edited special issues for journals like The Information Society, and Journal of Information Technology. He is also currently an Associate Editor of Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology.
- Ph.D. Information Systems, London School of Economics and Political Science, 1997
- MA, Department of Sociology, Seoul National University, 1989
- BA, Business Administration, Seoul National University, 1986
Research and Academic Employment
- 1997 BT Research Fellow, University of Salford
- 1998 - 2002 Lecturer, Brunel University
- 2002 - 2004 Lecturer, University of Melbourne
- 2004 - 2007 Senior Lecturer, University of Melbourne
- -Guest Editor for Special Issues
- Lee, H., Kwak, J. and Seo, D. The Rise of Asia in Global Standardization: A Threat, Opportunity or Something Else? A special issue for Telecommunications Policy. November 2014. 38(10).
- Lee, H. and Whitley, E. (Eds). 2002. Time and Information Technology. A special issue of the journal The Information Society. 18(4).
- Lee, H., Sawyer, S. and Choudrie, J. (Eds.) 2003. Broadband Internet and Electronic Commerce. A special issue of Journal of Information Technology. 18(4).
- Chang, S., Lee, H. and Kim, J. (Eds.) 2005. Online Games: Social and Technical Issues. A special issue of The International Journal of Advanced Media and Communication. 1(1)
- -Editorial Board
- International Journal of IT Standards and Standardization Research (IJITSR)
- Program Committee Member
- 7th-9th International Conference on Standardization and Innovation in Information Technology. SIIT2011, -2013, -2015 www.siit2015.org
- ITU Kaleidoscope Conference, 2014, 2015. Technical Programme Committee. http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/academia/kaleidoscope/2015/Pages/default.aspx
Courses and Current Research Area
- ICT and Development
- Standrdization and Digital Business
- Global IT Management, Information Systems and Information Society
- IT/IS in Developing Countries (ICT4D)
- Standards and Standardization
- Smart Work
- Time, Space and IT
Academic PublicationsThree current areas of research: ‘Standards & Standardization’, ‘Time/space and IT’ and ‘ICT4D’ (* corresponding author)
[Standards and Standardization]
1. Lee, H.*, Harindranath, G., Oh, S. and Kim, D. Provision of Mobile Banking Services from an Actor-Network Perspective: Implications for Convergence and Standardization. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, January 2015. Volume 90, Part B: 551-561.
2. Ernst, D., Kwak, J. and Lee. Standards, Innovation, and Latecomer Economic Development: Conceptual Issues and Policy Challenges. Telecommunications Policy. 2014. 38(10): 853-862.
3. Ping, W., Kwak, J. and Lee, H*. The Latecomer Strategy for Global ICT Standardization: Indigenous Innovation and its Dilemma. Telecommunications Policy. 2014. 38(10): 933-943
4. V. Fomin, H. Zoo and H. Lee*. Understanding technology development process at the early standardization stage: The case of Cognitive Radio. International Journal of IT Standards & Standardization Research. (2014) 12(2): 1-20.
5. Kim, D., Lee, H*., Kwak, J. and Seo, D. China’s Information Security Standardization: Analysis from the Perspective of WTO Principles. Telecommunications Policy, 2014. 38(7): 592-600. (SSCI)
6. 주한나, 이희진*. 무역원조를 통한 개발도상국 대상 표준 협력: EU 및 미국의 사례와 한국에 주는 함의. 국가정책연구. (2014). 제28권 제3호: 27-52.
7. 김동휴, 이희진*, 곽주영. 한국 FTA와 중국 FTA의 TBT 장 비교분석: 한중 FTA TBT 협상에 주는 함의. 국제지역연구 (2013) 제16권 제4호: 125-150.
8. 정병기, 이희진. 동서독의 표준화 체계와 표준 통일 과정: 남북한 표준 협력에 대한 함의. 한국정치연구 (2013) 제22집 제1호: 215-236.
9. Hanah Zoo, Heejin Lee*, Jooyoung Kwak and Yongyoung Kim. Data Protection and Privacy over the Internet: Towards Development of an International Standard. 디지털정책연구 (2013). 제11권 제4호: 57-69.
10. 김동휴, 이희진*, 이희상. 표준특허 남용 규제체계에 대한 연구: 한중 FTA를 통한 보완 방안을 중심으로. 동서연구 (2013) 제 25권 2호: 65-96.
11. 정도범, 곽주영, 이희진. 독자적 기술 표준의 성공 사례 연구: 애플의 아이폰에 관한 전략적 측면을 중심으로. 지식경영연구. (2013). 제 14권 3호: 33-50.
12. J. Kwak, H. Lee* and D. Chung. The Evolution of Alliance Structure in China’s Mobile Telecommunication Industry and Implications for International Standardization. Telecommunications Policy (2012). 36: 966-976.
13. 이희진, 곽주영. 기술표준화, 기술확산과 기술국가주의: 산자이 (山寨) 휴대폰의 성장 사례를 중심으로. POSRI경영경제연구. (2012). 12(2): 260-285.
14. H. Lee and Joon (Chris) Huh. Korea’s Strategies for ICT Standards Internationalisation: A Comparison with China’s. International Journal of IT Standards & Standardization Research. (2012) 10(2): 1-13.
15. J. Kwak, H. Lee* and V. Fomin. Government coordination of conflicting interests in standardisation: case studies of indigenous ICT standards in China and South Korea. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management (2011). 23(7): 789–805.
16. H. Lee, S. Chan and S. Oh. China’s ICT Standards Policy after the WTO Accession: Techno-nationalism vs. Techno-globalism. Info. (2009). 11 (1): 9-18.
17. H. Lee and S. Oh. The political economy of standards setting by newcomers: China's WAPI and South Korea's WIPI. Telecommunications Policy. (2008). 32: 662-671.
18. H. Lee and S. Oh, A standards war waged by a developing country: Understanding international standard setting from the actor-network perspective. Journal of Strategic Information Systems. 15: 177-195. 2006.
19. 이희상, 최동근, 남상열, 이희진. 국가 표준화 추진 타당성 검토 도구에 관한 연구. 표준과 표준화 연구. 1권 1호. 2011. 102-114.
20. 이희진, 오상조. 중국의 정보통신기술 표준전략-한국의 정보통신산업에 주는 함의. 정보화정책. 15권 4호. 2008 겨울. 55-68.
21. H. Lee. Chapter 14. Electronic Commerce and Standardization. Teaching Standardization in Universities: Lessons Learned from Trial Program. APEC Sub Committee on Standards and Conformance. Education Guideline 4 – Case Book.
22. Lee, H. 2010. Alliances in Standardization: Two cases of attempts at ICT standards in China and Korea. Two Case Studies of ICT Standards in Standardization: Fundamentals, Impact, and Business Strategy. Eds. Donggeun Choi & Byung-Goo Kang. APEC SCSC Education Guideline 3. Korean Standards Association, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards for APEC Sub Committee on Standards and Conformance (SCSC).
23. 이희진, 오상조. 중국의 정보통신기술 표준전략-한국의 정보통신산업에 주는 함의. 정보화정책. 15권 4호. 2008 겨울. 55-68.
24. Lee, H*. and Jung, Y. Australian Studies in Korea: Its Poverty and Future Direction, The Otemon Journal of Australian Studies, (2013). 39: 75-84.
25. 문경희, 이희진. 호주 노동당 정부의 중견국 외교에 대한 고찰: 배경 및 시기별 특성과 성과에 영향을 미치는 요인을 중심으로. 21세기 정치학회보. (2012). 22(2): 195-224.
[Time/space and IT including smart working]
26. 오상조, 김용영, 이희진. 스마트워크: 희미해진 업무/비업무 경계 그리고 그 결과. 디지털정책연구 (2013). 제11권 제1호: 191-198.
27. H. Lee and S. Sawyer. Conceptualizing time, space, and computing for work and organizing. Time & Society. (2010). 19(3): 293–317.
28. H. Lee* and J. Lee. Time to change, time for change: Time as a catalyst for organizational change. Time & Society. (2008). 17(2/3): 363-384.
29. LEE, H. - Your time and my time: A temporal approach to groupware calendar systems, Information & Management. 40/3: 159-164. 2003.
30. LEE, H. and WHITLEY, E. - Time and information technology: Three levels of temporal impacts, The Information Society 18/4: 235-240. 2002.
31. LEE, H. and LIEBENAU, J. - Time and the Internet at the turn of the millennium, Time & Society, 9(1): 43-56. 2000.; reprinted in The New Media Theory Reader, edited by Robert Hassan and Julian Thomas, Open University Press, 266-271. 2006.
32. LEE, H. and LIEBENAU, J. - Temporal effects of information systems on business processes: Focusing on the dimensions of temporality, Accounting, Management & Information Technologies (now Information & Organization), 10/3: 157-185. 2000.
33. LEE, H. and LIEBENAU, J. - Time in management and organizational studies: towards a new direction of research, Organization Studies, 20/6: 1035-1058. 1999.
34. LEE, H. - Time and information technology: monochronicity, polychronicity and temporal symmetry, European Journal of Information Systems, 8: 16-26. 1999.
35. 이희진. 정보기술은 시간을 어떻게 변화시킬까? SERI 에세이 41. 삼성경제연구소, 서울: 123 pp. (2006).
[ICT4D including North Korea]
36. M. Nair, G. Han, H. Lee, P. Goon and R. Muda. Determinants of the digital divide in rural communities of a developing country: The case of Malaysia. Development and Society. (2010) 39(1): 139-162.
37. H. Chun, E. Munyi and H. Lee*. South Korea as an emerging donor: Challenges and changes on its entering OECD/DAC. Journal of International Development. (2010). 22(6): 788-802.
38. S. Jang, H. Lee* and K. Ko. Becoming a Fast Learner in Offshore Software Outsourcing: The Case of Vietnam’s FPT Software. International Area Review. (2010). 13(1):183-203.
39. M. Nair, P. Goon, R. Muda, G. Han and H. Lee. Affinity of rural society to the information economy: An exploratory analysis from Malaysia. Economic Bulletin. (2009). 10: 101-133. (ISSN 0128 9675)
40. K. Ko, H. Lee* and S. Jang. The Internet dilemma and control policy: political and economic implications of the Internet in North Korea. The Korean Journal of Defense Analysis. (2009). 21(3): 279-295.
41. Y. Song, H. Lee* and S. Kurnia. Social capital in information and communications technology research: Past, present, and future. Communications of the Association for Information Systems. (2009) Vol. 25: 23 http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol25/iss1/23/
42. S. Kim, H. Kim and H. Lee*. An institutional analysis of an E-government system for anti-corruption: The case of OPEN. Government Information Quarterly. (2009). 26: 42-50.
43. H. Lee, S. Jang, K. Ko and Richard Heeks. Analysing South Korea's ICT for Development Aid Programme. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries. (2008). 35.
44. LEE, H. and HWANG, J. - IT Development in North Korea: Changes and Challenges. Information Technologies and International Development 2(1): 75-87. 2004.
45. 고경민, 이희진*. 한국 공적개발원조(ODA)의 문제점과 혁신방향: 적극적 평화론의 관점에서. 국가전략. 14권 4호. 2008. 61-89.
46. 고경민, 이희진*, 장승권. 북한의 IT 딜레마와 이중전략: 북한의 IT 딜레마와 이중전략. 정보화정책. 14권 4호. 2007 겨울. 139-158.
47. 이희진, 장승권, 고경민. 정보통신기술은 개발도상국 발전을 가져올까? 한국의 ICT4D 프로그램 수립을 위한 고찰. 국제지역연구. 16권 4호 2007 겨울. 113-141.
48. 장승권, 고경민, 이희진. 오픈 소스 소프트웨어와 개발도상국의 소프트웨어산업 발전전략. 기술혁신학회지. 8 (특집호): 297-322. 2005.
49. 이희진, 고경민, 장승권. 외국 사례를 통해 본 북한의 정보통신산업 발전전략: 소프트웨어산업 발전전략, 오픈소스 소프트웨어 개발전략, 인터넷 전략. 통일정책연구. 13 (1): 187-219. 2004.
50. Il Gu Yi, Hyang Min Jeong, Woosuk Choi, Seungkwon Jang, Heejin Lee, Beom Jun Kima. Human dynamics of spending: Longitudinal study of a coalition loyalty program. Physica A. (2014) 410: 391-398.
51. 최우석, 장승권, 이희진. 통합 로열티 프로그램의 학습효과: OK캐쉬백 장기 패널자료를 이용한 실증 연구. 정보시스템연구 (2013). 제 22권 제 1호 (2013년 3월): 163-178.
52. 정지윤, 이희진*, 장승권, 최우석. Success Factors for IT-based Coalition Loyalty Programs：The Case of OKCashbag. 한국전자거래학회지. (2011). 16(2): 91-109.
53. S. Kim, H. Lee* and M. Lee. Research in convergence: A literature analysis. Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology. (2010). 42(3): 191-205.
54. S. Oh, S. Yang, S. Kurnia, H. Lee*, M. Mackay and K. O’Doherty. The characteristics of mobile data service users in Australia. International Journal of Mobile Communications. 6(2): 217–230. 2008.
55. 50. B. Lim, H. Lee* and S. Kurnia. Exploring the reasons for a failure of electronic payment systems: A case study of an Australian company. Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology. 39(4): 231-243, 2007.
56. Kim, Y., Oh, S. and Lee, H. What Makes People Experience Flow? Social characteristics of online games. International Journal of Advanced Media & Communication 1(1): 76-92. 2005.
57. HAN, D. and LEE, H*. - District health information systems in the public sector: Health centers in Korea, Logistics Information Management 16: 278-285. 2003.
58. 이희진, 오상조, 고경민. 시민사회 시대 공공정보시스템(PIS)의 정치: NEIS 사례를 중심으로. 행정논총. 46권 4호. 2008. 253-281.