Beginning of Faculty
End of Faculty
Yoon, Semee (윤세미)
ProfileSemee Yoon is an Assistant Professor of Sustainable Development and Cooperation at Underwood International College and the Graduate School of International Studies of Yonsei University. She received her bachelor's degree and her Ph.D. in Sustainable Development from Columbia University. Her research interests lie primarily at the nexus of development and environmental economics to enhance livelihoods of the poor. She is also interested in climate change adaptation projects and policies in developing countries, especially regarding energy-related issues (smart grids and renewable energy).
- 2015 Ph.D in Sustainable Development, Columbia University
- 2010 B.A. in Economics, Columbia College, Columbia University
Research and Academic Employment
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University, 2015.
- External Consultant, Korea Environment Institute, 2015.
- Researcher, Columbia University, 2013-2015.
- External Consultant, Global Green Growth Institute, 2013-2014.
- Research Fellow, Project Malawi, 2010-2012.
- Project Consultant, Vision Care - Ethiopia, 2010-2011.
Courses and Current Research Area
- Development Economics, Energy Access, Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Policy Evaluation, Development Studies
- Topics in Sustainable Development; Development Field Research; Development Cooperation and Foreign Aid; Environment and Development; Behavioral Economics and Development
- “Can Product Demonstrations Create Markets for Sustainable Energy Technology? A Randomized Controlled Trial in Rural India.” with Urpelainen, J., Energy Policy, 109:666-675, 2017.
- “Willingness to Pay for Solar Lanterns: Does the Trial Period Play a Role?” with Urpelainen, J. & Kandlikar, M., Review of Policy Research, 33(3):291-315, 2016.
- “Solar Products for Poor Rural Communities as a Business: Lessons from a Successful Project in Uttar Pradesh, India.” with Urpelainen, J., Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 18:617-626, 2016.
- “Solar Home S ystems for Rural India: Survey Evidence on Awareness and Willingness to Pay from Uttar Pradesh” with Urpelainen, J., Energy for Sustainable Development, 24:70-78, 2015.
more informationWork In Progress
“The Effects of Electricity Grid Expansion on Households: Evidence from Vietnam.” with Son, H.
“Tracking the Progress of Energy Access through Vietnamese Household Response.” with Son, H.
“Transboundary Air Pollution and Health: the Impact of PM Concentration on Human Capital.” with Jung, J.
“An Evaluation of Dynamic Electricity Pricing for Solar Micro-Grids in Rural India.” with Numminen, S., Lund, P., & Urpelainen, J.
“Specialty Coffee and Sustainable Economic Development: Connecting Roasters and Consumers to Farms and Cooperatives.”
“Inclusive Business and Sustainable Development: Social Enterprises in Seoul.”