Beginning of Faculty
End of Faculty
Lee, Heejin (이희진)
ProfileProfessor Heejin Lee obtained his PhD in the Department of Information Systems at London School of Economics. He has an interdisciplinary background with sociology (MA, Seoul National University) and management (BA, SNU). Before joining GSIS, he worked in the University of Melbourne, Australia and Brunel University, UK. His research interest includes international standardization (with focus on China and ASEAN), IT/IS for development (ICT4D) and Australian studies.
He is the director of Center for Converging industries and Standardization. He is a Visiting Professor of The Hitotsubashi University Institute of Innovation Research (December 2020 to March 2021) (https://www.iir.hit-u.ac.jp/).
He is the director of Centre for Australian Studies (CAS) at Yonsei, and a board member of Korea-Australia Foundation. CAS hosts the Korea-Australia Research Network (KARN; http://www.karn.or.kr/). He is also an awardee of the Endeavour Executive Award 2013 of the Australian Government, and a Visiting Academic at the School of School of Historical and Philosophical Studies, the University of Melbourne (September to December 2013). He was the President of the Korea Association of International Development Cooperation (2017-2018).
He has many publications in international journals including Research Policy, International Journal of Information Management and Technological Forecasting and Social Change. He is an editorial board member of International Journal of Standardization Research.
- Ph.D. Information Systems, London School of Economics and Political Science, 1997
- MA, Department of Sociology, Seoul National University, 1989
- BA, Business Administration, Seoul National University, 1986
Research and Academic Employment
- 1997 BT Research Fellow, University of Salford
- 1998 - 2002 Lecturer, Brunel University
- 2002 - 2004 Lecturer, University of Melbourne
- 2004 - 2007 Senior Lecturer, University of Melbourne
- Guest Editor for Special Issues
- Jonathan Liebenau, Yu Jiang and Heejin Lee. East Asia’s Digital Economy: Governance, Standards and Social Change. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. Volume 139, February 2019.
- Lee, H., Kwak, J. and Seo, D. The Rise of Asia in Global Standardization: A Threat, Opportunity or Something Else? A special issue for Telecommunications Policy. November 2014. 38(10).
- Editorial Board
- International Journal of Standardization Research (http://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-standardization-research-ijsr/145878)
Courses and Current Research Area
- ICT and Development
- Digital Business and Digital Trade
- Global IT Management
- Information Systems and Information Society (UIC)
- Standards and Standardization
- IT/IS in Developing Countries (ICT4D)
- Time, Space and IT
- PhD Supervision
- Dr. Hanah Zoo, completed in February 2017. “Standardization and Innovation in Developing Countries: A case of national standard-setting committees in Vietnam”. https://www.hallym.ac.kr/hallym_univ/sub01/cP17/sCP3/tab1
- Dr. Donghyu Kim, completed in August 2017. “A study of standards and innovation: a case of the internet of things (IoT) with focus on China”. Lecturer, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow. https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/staff/dong-hyukim/
- Doyoung Eom. Completed in February 2021. “Three Essays on Standardization in Converging Industries: Competition and Cooperation between SDOs”.
- Mijin Kim. Rivalry in international standardization for emerging technologies
- Jenny Zhan. China’s international standardization for emerging technologies
- Kim Lee-soo. Sustainable tourism for development.
Academic Publications[Standards and Standardization]
1. Kwak, J., H. Lee* and S. Han. The Role of Standardization Initiatives in Local Industrial Development: The Chinese Ginseng Experience, Global Economic Review. Forthcoming.
2. 이희진. 2020. 표준으로 바라본 세상: 일상에서 만나는 표준의 정치경제학. 파주: 한울아카데미.
3. 이희진. 2020. <미-중 분쟁과 기술표준의 지정학 그리고 한국의 접근> 국가기술표준원 정보지 S-Life. 일자: S-Life 2020년 11+12월 187호: 24~28.
4. 이희진, 최동근. 2021. <일본의 신시장창조형 표준화 제도 - 소재부품 중소기업 경쟁력 활성화 기여> KSA Policy Study 28. Global 동향분석 2021년 1월
5. Mi-jin Kim, Heejin Lee* and Jooyoung Kwan (2020). The changing patterns of China’s international standardization in ICT under techno-nationalism: A reflection through 5G standardization. International Journal of Information Management. October Volume 54:102145.
6. H. Lee*, J. Liebenau and V. Fomin. (2019). ‘Breaks of gauge’ in Australian railway history: the significance of standardisation in national infrastructures. International Journal of Services and Standards, 13(1/2): 46-58.
7. Doyoung Eom, Heejin Lee and Dong-hyu Kim. (2019). New Rules for Standards-Setting and New Roles of Standardization Bodies in the Era of IoT, First Prize. Future challenges in standardization: Winning papers from IEC-IEEE-KATS Academic Challenge 2018. pp. 9~18. IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) Academy & Capacity Building. https://basecamp.iec.ch/download/briefing-paper-future-challenges-in-standardization/
8. “4차산업혁명과 표준화: 사례 모음”, 이희진, 주한나, 최동근 편저. 2019. 박영사.
9. 이희진. 표준의 관점에서 본 5G 생태계 표준은 정해졌다. 이제부턴 속도다 비즈니스 생태계 조성에 올인하라”, DBR, June 2019 Issue 2, No. 275, pp. 54-63.
10. Liebenau, J., Yu, J. and Heejin Lee. (2019). Introduction: Special issue on digital economy in East Asia. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Volume 139, February 2019, Pages 73-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.12.005
11. Yongwoon Shim, Heejin Lee* and Vladislav Fomin. (2019). What benefits couldn't ‘Joyn’ enjoy?: The changing role of standards in the competition in mobile instant messengers in Korea. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Volume 139, February 2019, Pages 125-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.09.007
12. Doyoung Eom and Heejin Lee. (2018). A holistic approach to exploring the divided standards landscape in e-health research. IEEE Communications Standards Magazine. December. 10.1109/MCOMSTD.2018.1800007
[ICT4D and ODA]
13. 이희진 (편저). 2021. 국제 전문가가 들려주는 ICT4D: 정보통신기술과 국제개발협력. 한울아카데미.
14. 주한나 ⋅정효림 ⋅권호 ⋅이희진*. (2020). 한국의 ICT 국제개발협력 연구 동향 분석: 2002년-2020년 학술 논문의 체계적 문헌 분석. 국제개발협력연구 제12권 3호: 33~55. https://doi.org/10.32580/idcr.2020.12.3.33
15. 김준엽, 이희진* (2018). UN 지속가능개발목표(SDGs)와 표준의 기여와 역할. 국제개발협력연구. 10(3): 3-19.
16. Minjin Kim, Hanah Zoo, Heejin Lee, Juhee Kang (2018). Mobile financial services, financial inclusion, and development: A systematic review of academic literature. Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries. 2018;e12044. https://doi.org/10.1002/isd2.12044.
17. 이수연, 이희진, 권구순. (2019). 청소년 해외봉사단 활동이 봉사단원 개인역량에 미치는 효과에 대한 연구: WFK IT봉사단과 일반 대학생 간 비교를 중심으로. 청소년연구. 30(1): 39-65.
18. Choi, M., Lee, H. & Zoo, H. Scientific knowledge production and research collaboration between Australia and South Korea: patterns and dynamics based on co-authorship. Scientometrics 126, 683–706 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-020-03765-2
[Time/space and IT including smart working]
19. 이희진, 배미정 (2018). 24시간 근로 가능해진 디지털 시대 시간 규율 대신 신뢰 시스템 구축하라. DBR, July 2018 Issue 2, No. 253 pp. 36-43.
20. 김용영, 오상조, 이희진, 차경진. 스마트워크 사용자의 업무/비업무간 경계 관리 전략에 관한 연구. 지식경영연구. (2015). 제16권 4호: 133-155.
21. H. Lee and S. Sawyer. Conceptualizing time, space, and computing for work and organizing. Time & Society. (2010). 19(3): 293–317.